Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Session 1 Follow-up

Thanks for your attendance and participants yesterday.

Here are your questions for the week:
1.     What did you hear at session one that impacted you the most?
2.     How will this idea or piece of information change the way you do ministry?

Please post your responses in the "comments" section.

9 comments:

  1. 1. I heard that we need to multiply/duplicate ourselves and realize that it's not a job of one person. For 'good' ministry we were given the model of a 1 to 12 ratio per say like Jesus with his disciples. He taught the 12 to then go out and multiply his work.

    2. This will help to push me to delegate responsibilities and acknowledge more of what the community is doing outside of the church building. For example, looking at our students in scouts or an extracurricular activities with more of a team approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Ashley! The lesson that impacted me the most was knowing I can only reach 12 people max. and I need to delegate and duplicate myself. This is easier said then done, however it will challenge me to allow others to take on leadership roles within our parish ministry which will empower them to hopefully be life-long leaders in their faith communities! More leaders= stronger community and more people of stronger faith lives; pretty neat stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious... do either of you think that your parents will be threatened or confused by this idea? Especially in your locations where you were both hired to "be the solution". Will you be able to convince the parish that it's your job to support them, but their job to do the work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah good question. This question plays into my trouble with delegating as I often have the guilt factor of asking people for help knowing that they are working full time jobs as well and I am getting paid for my ministry. Nonetheless, as I'm continually reminded, we in our roles are to be servants to the servants. So in regards to the question of how the community will respond, it definitely will involve some adjustment and somehow catechesis and I'm not sure how they will react. I don't think people realize how much time and effort 'administration' and 'delegation' takes. And unfortunately I feel that since our definition of 'success' is not easy to define I feel like many FFLs/people in ministry feel they have to 'justify' their position and therefore the idea of 'supporting' verses 'doing' will be more difficult to sell per say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good question Kevin! Again I have to agree with Ashley, that is part of my inability to delegate as well because I also feel guilty or feel as though parishioners will see me delegating and look at it as "laziness". However, I know that giving others leadership roles within the church community will only bring them closer to God. You never know how well you know a subject until you have to teach it. This is what I tell myself when I am feeling guilty for delegating tasks..It is for the greater good of everyone, and God never meant for us to be "lone-rangers". I think it may be a bit of a battle at first to give others leader roles and delegate more, but I think when the parish sees how much more life it truly brings to our parish, they will be all on board!! :) **fingers crossed.**

    ReplyDelete
  7. What impacted me the most about Session One was the discussion on how we "justify" our salary to the parish leadership, and how they "measure" our success. Unfortunately I think too much time is spent worrying about this, especially around contract time. It was reassuring to be reminded that as much as we are advocates for youth, WE need/deserve to have someone who will advocate for us.

    I will use this information going forward by remembering that there is not one set general guideline to determine how effective a religion program is. When determining the success of each program we must sit down and evaluate all portions of the program. Personally I am trying to work on not feeling so defensive when being questioned about our programs or comparing them to other programs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thing that impacted me the most was the fact that every member of the parish form start to finish impacts each other’s faith formation and path to God.

    I believe this will help me by looking to other people then just parents and people connected to certain students to help with some of the ministry. There may be some people who wish to help but do not realize they can help and are connected just like I did not know until the first session.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brenda, I appreciate that you mention the not feeling so defensive when being questioned about our programs or comparing them to other programs. I sometimes feel uncomfortable when sharing with other parishes in a way related to this. . .we as FFLs tried to describe success for us and avoided 'how many participating' as success and yet I am always inclined to know how many people are attending something??? Not sure if that makes sense, but whenever we have a Youth Group night or our Adult Catholicism Night I look at the numbers and others first question is usually "How many did you get last night?" . . .

    It's tough, there's definitely something to be said about numbers and I would feel like I am successful if I had good numbers like I hear of some other parishes having. . .so maybe numbers are related to success??

    Sometimes I have to remember that even if one person grew closer to God in an experience offered then it was worth it--even deeper would be that for the sake of God's Kingdom it was offered and therefore worth it. Yet, I just cannot put my finger on it since we should be held accountable in a position that we are paid for. . .and how that 'ruler' looks I just do not know.

    ReplyDelete